Re: new scripts and patches for devscripts

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> Also, considering we are talking about Python and not, say, my beloved
> OCaml, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that among active Debian
> developers we have nowadays more Python knowledge than Perl knowledge
> (but I'm already regretting starting this potential troll ...). Back to
> numbers, according to [1] already in Debian 4.0 the number of SLOC in
> the archive of Python vs Perl was very close (2.5% vs 2.8%) with a
> strong growing trend for Python.
>
> To conclude with an obvious argument, rewriting useful tools which are
> known to work and which are currently maintained by a derived distro,
> when they are already written in a popular language, doesn't seem to be
> the smartest thing to do to me.

I completely agree that rewriting the tools isn't a useful effort.  I
was more concerned that there had been significant development done on
scripts that were intended to be proposed to devscripts and yet were
intentionally being written in a language that I had previously
expressed to Benjamin wasn't used in devscripts.

I'm not categorically opposed to having Python scripts in devscripts,
as I do grok Python.  My resistance was more due to the process around
the proposed contributions and posing the barrier to acceptance as
purely an added dependency.

Also, while Benjamin and Stefano have offered to support the potential
new scripts, how does that help with the existing scripts which Benjamin
stated concern about?  Last we spoke, he wasn't comfortable with Perl,
so while they may support their scripts within devscripts, how much does
it really buy for the devscripts package as a whole?  Is it worth moving
them or easier to just keep them in ubuntu-dev-tools?

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@debian.org>