Re: new scripts and patches for devscripts

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 11:01:12PM +0100, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> 1. ubuntu-dev-tools contains a bunch of scripts. Some of them are useful
> only for Ubuntu, but some of them are general usable for packaging.
> These scripts are:
>
> mk-sbuild

Speaking just for this script, it's a "user-friendly" wrapper around
sbuild/schroot to do initial setup, including package installation and
chroot creation.  However, it's very Ubuntu-specific.  Rather than
copy the script, even with the Ubuntu-specifics taken out, I'd rather
integrate select pieces into sbuild proper such as into
sbuild-createchroot.

If the other scripts are of a similar nature, I don't think they are
suitable with significant modification; it may be worth looking at
correcting the deficiencies in the tools they wrap.

> Should these script moved from ubuntu-dev-tools into devscripts?
>
> Most of the script are written in Python. Rewriting them to get them
> included in devscripts is too much work without benefit. devscripts
> would depend on python then.

Most of the scripts are short.  Rewriting would be fairly simple, and
may be beneficial in removing the Ubuntu-specific bits.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh