Re: potential MBF: first alternate depends not available in main

* Carsten Hey <carsten@debian.org> [110304 06:17]:
> * Paul Wise [2011-03-04 12:54 +0800]:
> > Debian Policy section 2.2.1 already covers this:
> >
> > ...the package must not declare a "Depends", "Recommends", or
> > "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main package.
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-main
>
> This can be read in different ways:
>
>  * All of the alternatives must be in main.
>  * The first alternative must be in main.
>  * One of the alternatives must be in main.

>From an English language POV, the quote above (taken out of context)
clearly forbids any alternative in a Depends or Recommends from being
outside of main.

Here is the quote with enough context to show that the intent was
otherwise and that other interpretations are reasonable:

...the packages in main

   • must not require a package outside of main for compilation or
     execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends",
     "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main
     package)

I am not a DD or an expert on policy, but I would interpret the
parenthetical to be explanatory rather than normative.

Here is a suggested wording to clarify the parenthetical:

...the packages in main

   • must not require a package outside of main for compilation or
     execution (thus, all declared "Depends", "Recommends", and
     "Build-Depends" relationships must be satisfiable with only
     packages in main)

I will file a wishlist bug against policy if there are no objections.

...Marvin