Re: enable/disable flags in /etc/default

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 06:16:06PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Do other distro's use service for this?
> > What's the reason update-rc.d is limited to maintainer scripts?
>
> No, they use chkconfig.

Ironically, the last paragraph of chkconfig description reads:

  In Debian, there are several tools with similar functionality, but
  users coming from other Linux distributions will find the tools in
  this package more familiar.

without telling which those "several tools" are. According to this
thread, the recommended tool among them is "mv" (in the hope that the
sysadm knows by heart that they have to run insserv afterwards).

Cheers.