Re: What bug reports are for

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 19:47:58 +0100
"Jesús M. Navarro" <jesus.navarro@undominio.net> wrote:

> Hi, Josselin:
>
> En fecha Domingo, 27 de Febrero de 2011, Josselin Mouette escribió:
> > Le dimanche 27 février 2011 à 14:50 +0200, Dmitry Baryshev a écrit :
> > > Who should do this investigation? I did it because I know how to
> > > debug this. If user don't know how to debug this, his bug report
> > > will be closed without reassigning to proper package. Hence this
> > > investigation should be done by maintainer, not user.
> >
> > You seem to forget the very reason bug reports are here. Their
> > point is not to offer a service to our users - if you want that,
> > you’ll need paid support. Bug reports are here to help improving
> > the distribution.
>
> Good to know.
>
> Is *that* Debian's official position?  That the bug report system is
> not there to offer a service to Debian users?

Service != support.

Debian and Debian systems like the BTS are there to support users and
to support Debian, that's clear in the Social Contract but that does not
mean that Debian provides a contractual service of any kind. Support is
one thing but all such support comes from volunteers and there is no
"customer service", no "service contract", no warranties, no guarantees.
Volunteers do what they can in their own free time. There's no room
there for formal services to users or anyone else.

If you want a service contract, find a GNU/Linux distribution capable
of supplying one, it is not Debian. Debian exists to support users, not
enter a service contract with users.

http://www.debian.org/social_contract

--

Neil Williams