Re: Make Unicode bugs release critical? (was: Re: RFA: all my packages)

Le lundi 14 février 2011 à 12:42 +0000, Ian Jackson a écrit :
> Josselin Mouette writes ("Re: Make Unicode bugs release critical? (was: Re: RFA: all my packages)"):
> > Kicking out software that doesn?t work at all in UTF-8 locales and
> > requires the user to set a broken locale, OTOH, sounds like a sanitary
> > emergency.
>
> Excellent, I look forward to the removal of python.  I always hated
> that language anyway.

From your reply I look more forward to the removal of vm, since it broke
the Unicode in my original email.

> $ LC_CTYPE=en_GB.utf-8 python -c 'print u"\u00a3"' | cat
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
> UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xa3' in
> position 0: ordinal not in range(128)
> $

You must specify the encoding of your data in your bitstreams. I agree
this is inconvenient (and one of the things I dislike in Python), but it
is:
     1. completely independent of the locale (UTF8 or not)
     2. easy to work with once you understand how encodings in Python
        work
     3. much better in Python 3.

--
 .''`.
: :' :     “You would need to ask a lawyer if you don't know