Re: Make Unicode bugs release critical? (was: Re: RFA: all my packages)

* Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk>, 2011-02-14, 12:42:
Kicking out software that doesn?t work at all in UTF-8 locales and requires the user to set a broken locale, OTOH, sounds like a sanitary emergency.

Excellent, I look forward to the removal of python. I always hated that language anyway.

$ LC_CTYPE=en_GB.utf-8 python -c 'print u"\u00a3"'
<unicode pound sign>
$

But

$ LC_CTYPE=en_GB.utf-8 python -c 'print u"\u00a3"' | cat
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xa3' in
position 0: ordinal not in range(128)
$

This is the expected behaviour. Incidentally, it has nothing to do with UTF-8. You'll get the same result if you use a locale with a legacy encoding.

--
Jakub Wilk