Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 12:42:57PM +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> [110212 21:58]:
> > The other side to this is that fixing such bugs gains us very litle.
> >
> > If we have a guaranteed clean build environment + package build deps,
> > we have as complete consistency as is practicable.
>
> Allowing things to build in a non-artificial environment is simply an
> important part of being a good free software citizen. We as packagers do
> not like it if upstream has an arcane build system that mostly only
> works on their build servers, so we should also allow out users to
> get things builds.

This raises a question about how strict build-conflicts we want.

For example, any package built on a system with nvidia's drivers will be
built against them rather than mesa due to diversions, and will be unusable
anywhere else.

Thus, it is tempting to slap build-conflicts in to ensure you won't
accidentally upload such packages.  On the other hand, it means you and
anyone else who wants to hack on this code has to use a chroot for builds
-- not really acceptable.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be