Re: Upcoming FTPMaster meeting

]] Lars Wirzenius

| If we wanted to be serious about this, it would be nice for someone to
| set up a maximal build chroot: something with as many packages installed
| as possible. Then do test builds of all packages, and report problems.
| (Then upgrade the chroot, install as many new packages as possible, and
| rebuild everything. Repeat forever.)

Steinar H. Gunderson and Joey Hess started something like this during
debconf 7, but I don't believe it took off or went anywhere.

| On the other hand, I don't see that this is all that important. Most
| packages will build fine in a dirty environment, and if there's trouble,
| users can report problems, and then they can get fixed. Meanwhile,
| having uniform, known build environments is good for reproducing builds,
| and that should be good for reproducing some bugs.

You'll want to flag packages gaining dependencies as well as packages
changing contents significantly.  (Defining significantly is of course
part of the challenge.)

--
Tollef Fog Heen