Use language determination tool for SPAM prevention (Was: Spell checker as reasonable SPAM prevention tool)

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 02:27:03PM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:

> I've been thinking about this some as well for my personal domain.
> Debian has tools that can determine the language of a document
> (libtextcat and friends).

So this is even better.

> Emails that are 70% or more composed of
> languages that I have no hope of speaking or understanding (i.e.,
> everything but English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese) would be
> rejected.  I chose 70% as the threshold because sometimes Debian lists
> get mails from users in both English and another language (in hopes of
> being understood) and I wouldn't want to penalize those users.  I
> haven't implemented this, but I might at some point.

Publishing the implementation would be cool.

> Obviously, this would have to be adjusted per-list;

This is for sure obvious and that's why I did not mention this.  We have
a default language per list which makes for sure a need for configurable
filtering per list - but this should be easy enough if we get it
implemented at all.

>  we wouldn't want to
> reject German-language emails to debian-user-german.  I also think
> language testing is better than spell checking for English because
> honestly English has a lot of pretty irregular and bizarre spellings; I
> say this as someone whose native language is English and who spells
> fairly decently.  A spell checker might catch more legitimate emails
> than we'd like.

My shot at the spell checker was just to detect a language - it might
perfectly be that we have better tools than a spell checker to detect a
language in which an e-mail is written in which makes the implementation
of the suggestion probably easier.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--