Suggest to purge removed packages with init scripts before squeeze upgrade (was: Why is help so hard to find?)

Package: release-notes
Severity: wishlist

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 18:02:06 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

> > I find this strange, since every system that has ever been etch will
> > have at least libdevmapper1.02 which stops insserv from migrating.
> Judging from further discussion, it looks like the reason why I've never
> seen this is that I routinely purge deinstalled packages on all my
> systems and most of the problems are with packages that have been
> deinstalled but not purged and have obsolete init scripts.  I wonder if we
> should suggest people consider doing that before the upgrade if they don't
> have any old configuration files around that they care about.

Now that Adam mentioned it I remember that I at least met this
removed-but-configured libdevmapper1.02 on each machine which tried
to convert to dependency based init scripts. (I think most other
issues I had came from home-grown init scripts without LSB headers.
-- And I also tend to purge removed packages; but not packages that
were both installed and removed automatically ...)

Suggesting to purge libdevmapper1.02 and maybe other
removed/configured packages in the release notes' "preparation"
section might indeed be helpful.

Cheers,
gregor, cc'ing the BTS

--
 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    NP: Simply Red: Holding Back The Years