Why is help so hard to find?

On Fri January 14 2011 03:51:48 Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Am 13.01.2011 11:54, schrieb Olaf van der Spek:
> > Instead of stepping down, it might be better to ask for a co-maintainer.
>
> You mean like this http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/help_requested?
> Let's have a look:
>
> # chromium-browser [..] requested 228 days ago.
> # dpkg [..] requested 2245 days ago.
> # grub2 [..] requested 2439 days ago.
> # libreoffice [..] requested 1368 days ago.
>
> Any other good ideas?  Perhaps something new ideas, which isn't already
> practices?

On occasion when I've found a kernel bug or gcc bug or perl
bug, or wanted to add a new feature to inn, I've been able
to scratch my itch immediately.

The impression I get of Debian is that in order to contribute
I need to spend a year or so humoring somebody with a tenth my
programming experience.

If that impression is wrong, I'd really like to fix at least
two major bugs in Squeeze:

(1) sysv-rc upgrade should not bring in insserv and wreck
startup on systems more complicated than a basic laptops,
without adequate warning, and "irreversibly".  (Note that due
to ass-backward design, restoring /etc does not prevent insserv
from wreaking havoc again.  You have to also
"touch /etc/init.d/.legacy-bootordering".)

(2) KDE4 is not an upgrade from KDE3.  It is despicable to
push KDE4 onto KDE3 users.  The correct upgrade path is
Trinity.  Not only is Trinity a continuation of KDE3, unlike
KDE4, but it is also far more stable and reliable.  Debian's
KDE maintainers can't even keep up with the torrent of KDE4
bugs now, and that will increase enormously when Squeeze is
released.  Last time I checked, and also six months ago, KDE4
doesn't even create a working KMail account due to missing
MySQL dependencies.  If people want to install a kde4 package
in Squeeze that should be permitted if Debian's KDE maintainers
are willing to support it, but the correct upgrade path from
Lenny's kde is Trinity, not KDE4.  (Thank you to Debian's KDE
maintainers for getting this right for Lenny.)

Note that we're not talking coding errors here.  We're talking
about abuse of the Debian packaging system so that people can
push their favorite software at the expense of Debian's users.

Apart from the above, Squeeze is looking to be another excellent
Debian release.

--Mike Bird