Re: Can insserv made better?

On Sat January 15 2011 16:33:28 Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> If insserv meses up so bad, shouldn't it be able to detect that things
> will go wrong too?

insserv completely discards the Snn/Knn values and generates a new
boot ordering based on much less information and which consequently
fails more often.

If you want insserv not to mess up then the solution a to have
insserv generate dependencies from the Snn/Knn values and then
allow sysadmins to delete/disable dependencies that aren't relevant.
(I don't recommend this but it is a solution.)

> Got a concrete example of a case that fails?

We ran into the Apache-Bind problem and the RequestTracker-Apache-Mysql
problems and then stopped using insserv.  Fortunately we have good
sysadmins who can read the source code as insserv is mostly undocumented
and there is no policy on which overrides are for Debian packagers and
which are sysadmins so many future conflicts will arise there too.

If you check on bugs.debian.org you'll see many more.  I had to read
through nearly 400 bugs on sysv-rc before submitting a proposed fix [1].

As we no longer enable insserv this is no longer a problem for us.

It is, however, a big problem for Squeeze and it needs to be fixed.

--Mike Bird