Re: DEP5: CANDIDATE and ready for use in squeeze+1

[ Cc:-ing policy integration bug report ]

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 01:51:23PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> There has been no plan to subsume DEP5 into Debian Policy.  The only plan
> I've seen is to turn *maintenance* of the machine-readable copyright format
> over to the Debian Policy process and to *ship* a copy of the spec in the
> debian-policy package;

Well, I was assuming that DEP5 was going to become an "associated text"
under policy §5.6.11 and, as such, subject to Standards-Version. That
would bring IMHO various benefits such as: 1) the possibility of
dropping Format:, 2) have a lintian check that doesn't need to preserve
yet another version-format mapping; 3) documentation of format changes
into upgrade-checklist.

Clearly you disagree with that assumption and Lars has voiced his
opinion in favor of a separate---and versioned---Format field as well.
So be it.

I still don't get how the versioned Format URL will look like once DEP5
will be shipped by debian-policy though. Would it use the Vcs-Browser of
the debian-policy package or ...? Just curious.

Cheers.