Re: DEP5: CANDIDATE and ready for use in squeeze+1

On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 02:43:22PM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> On su, 2011-01-09 at 15:33 +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > Well, the point of the revision dependent url was to avoid the url
> > stopping to refer to the actual format used in the file. If you make
> > that a stable url that may change content, the Format: field becomes
> > pretty much useless.

> See http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2010/08/msg00269.html -- the
> stable url will point to an unchanging version of the spec, without
> having to fiddle with svn revision numbers or other horrors.

But http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/ which you currently point to, as a
candidate DEP, is not yet "stable", is it?  How are implementors of the spec
supposed to declare their Format fields currently?  The examples just say to
use http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/, which points to a document which may
still have normative changes before "copyright-format-1.0" has been
solidified.

Pointing to particular revisions is ugly, but is less ugly IMHO than
introducing (again) the possibility of multiple incompatible specs (subtly
or otherwise) all referred to with the same "Format" declaration.