Re: Forwarding bugs upstream

Le mardi 11 janvier 2011 à 23:54 +0000, brian m. carlson a écrit :
> I've noticed a trend lately that I am often asked to forward the bugs I
> report to the Debian BTS upstream, either by the maintainers or
> automatically by a bug script.  I believe, and I continue to believe,
> that maintainers should forward bugs upstream instead of requiring (or
> strongly encouraging) users to do so.

As soon as there are enough maintainers to do that, yes, that makes
sense. Since for most large packages there are not, we are forced to do
what we can.

Skilled maintainers already spend way too much time only reading the
flow of bug reports. That’s time not spent into packaging work and
long-term improvement. We regularly ask newcomers to try and deal with
bugs, but this boring and daunting task only serves to discourage them.

Given that only a rough tenth of the bugs are actually useful, that’s
the amount that can be either forwarded as is (knowing that the upstream
maintainer will not ask for details the maintainer doesn’t have) or
dealt with directly. If someone finds a way to reduce the noise, maybe
what you suggest could become feasible.

--
 .''`.
: :' :     “You would need to ask a lawyer if you don't know