Re: devel files and libraries in /lib

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 01:57:31PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:
> >> You're right. Is there a project goal for this yet?
> >
> > No, that's one of the reasons I've brought it up.
> >
> > Practically speaking, this can be done fairly easily.  There's no
> > need to ban having a separate /usr at all.  Having /usr as a symlink
> > to / just needs to be a supported option.  This would need:
>
> If no separate /usr will be the default, in the long term a separate
> /usr will probably stop working for the same reason a symlink now
> isn't possible.

I doubt it.  The symlink doesn't work right now due to the same file
being present on both paths, causing one to be overwritten.  Once that
issue is solved, it should not impact upon keeping /usr separate.  As
long as a feature such as separate /usr is being used, bugs will get
filed when things break.

Regards,
Roger

--