Re: devel files and libraries in /lib

On 01/01/2011 Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 06:34:30PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan  1, 2011 at 17:11:17 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
>
> > > Afaicr I've never seen this documentented somewhere to do it this way and I'm
> > > wondering if this is indeed the agreed upon best practice and if we should
> > > document it somehow (policy, devref, whatever).
>
> > Yes.  Arguably it's covered under
> > http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#LIBESSENTIALSHAREDLIBRARIESANDKERN
>
> I don't think there's much room for argument at all, the FHS definition of
> /lib is pretty clear. :)
>
> Yes, this does cause problems for autotools and the like when it comes time
> to install, since this FHS-mandated split between /usr/lib and /lib isn't
> directly supported by automake.  A burden we must bear, unless someone wants
> to fix automake.

In case that the situation is clear, some Ubuntu packages seem to be
wrong. At least the Ubuntu libgcrypt11-dev[1] and libgpg-error-dev[2]
packages seem to install the development files to /lib.

In Debian, at least the following three packages need to be fixed:
libnih-dev, libnih-dbus-dev, libsplashy1-dev

greetings,
 jonas

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/i386/libgcrypt11-dev/filelist
[2] http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/i386/libgpg-error-dev/filelist