Re: most bugs are no bugs ! new/old failure in glibc !

Hi Carl-Valentin,

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 03:58:45PM +0100, Carl-Valentin Schmitt wrote:
> Hello Debianers !

> somebody in German Debian-mailinglist said, that most recent bugs of
> recent months,
> looks as if there is a failure in glibc resp. in libc.

> He said that it seems to be a byte-wise error in download package of
> glibc.

> Seems to concern glibc-package of recent summer.

This is not a useful and actionable bug report.  If someone believes there
is a problem with a package, they should file a bug report with specific
details, including the version number of the package they believe has a
problem and, in the case of a download error, the url of the mirror from
which they downloaded it.

However, since apt checksums files at the time of download to verify their
integrity, it is likely that the user has not found a bug in Debian at all.
They may have a bad disk that caused the package to be corrupted *on their
system* at unpack time, causing bugs *for them*, but Debian can't be
expected to fix bugs caused by faulty hardware - and such a bug certainly
would not be a source of "most recent bugs".

Regards,