Re: many packages fail to build twice in a row again

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 11:16:34AM +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:

> Yes, I'd expect that the situation is much worse than it used to be.
> Not only because of dpkg-source changes, but also due to ubiquity of
> build tools that throw away build tree after build (pbuilder,
> sbuild, $VCS-buildpackage...).

There's an outstanding feature request for sbuild to do double
builds to detect such problems.  It wouldn't be too much trouble to
implement; it's just not been a high priority.

I've noticed problems over the last few weeks with the new sources
formats causing dirty build trees more often than not.  Not sure if
these problems need fixing in each package, or if changes to the
tools will correct the vast majority of them.

The suggestion that "git clean" be a solution appears to have caused
some level of outrage.  However, at least for '3.0 (git)', all the
sources are known to git, and 'git clean' is a reliable and simple
solution to the problem.  The alternative, manually reverting all
the changes, is both complex and error-prone.  I'm not sure I see the
problem with what is an obvious improvement to the process.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh