Re: authbind (LD_PRELOAD) and multiarch

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 08:01:24PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> This came up before for plugins, e.g. support for inputing japanese or
> chinese characters. If the input plugin is installed for one
> architecture it should be installed for all architectures (the plugin
> using library is installed for). I suggested to have "Depends: foo:*",
> an architecture specific dependency with wildcard.

Also, for such input method plugins, we have a hook and configuration script
"im-config" to initialize such input method environment while starting X.

To update im-config for multiarch, I would like to have access to following
commands without depending on the dpkg-dev package since user program depending
on -dev package is weired:

* current-library-path
  equivalent of
  $ dpkg-architecture|sed -n 's/^DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH=\(.*\)/\1/p'

* installed-library-path
  list all library-path
  I do not know how to get this reliably

I hope someone package this along with extend-library-path

If such dependency pulls in differenrt set of input method for different
architecture, I wonder what will happen and how to deal with such case.
(For now, they all use the same input method and set environment
variable for that one)

> This is something that could use some native english speaker to write a
> proposal/specs for with some examples where it is needed. Any takers?

Yes.

(I guess since we are talking spec, there is no tools such as apt-get nor
aptitude to manage such dependencies.)

Osamu