Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:
> You only ever NEED stuff from outside LVM if you want to remove the VG
> the system is on, which makes sense, or if you screwed up. E.g. when you
> shrink the root LV without having shrunk the filesystem first and need
> to undo that. At that point it becomes usefull to have access to the lvm
> backup data, which is kind of hard if it is on lvm. If one has no
> partition outside of LVM it is a good idea to copy a set of backup
> metadata to an usb stick, just in case.

If someone is concerned about possible LVM issues affecting the root
filesystem then the easy solution is to just have the root filesystem
(including /usr) outside LVM.  The root filesystem isn't one that generally
needs to be resized etc and even when /usr is included it's not particularly
big by today's standards.

It seems to me that wanting to have / outside LVM but /usr inside LVM is a
fairly obscure corner case.  If we are going to have to hack things to work
differently from Fedora (and maybe miss some features along the way) to
support such things then I think we shouldn't bother.