Re: RFC/RFR: dh-exec -- Scripts to help with executable debhelper files

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> Le jeudi 15 décembre 2011 à 18:33 +0100, Gergely Nagy a écrit :
>> ,----
>> | #! /usr/bin/dh-exec
>> | etc/sample.conf => /etc/my-package/my-package.conf
>> | examples/* /usr/share/doc/my-package/examples
>> `----
>>
>> The syntax itself isn't all that bad. But the implementation! OH MY!
> [snip]
>
>> Let me know what you think.
>
> Well, thanks for making my point. Implementing these (useful) features
> in debhelper would be less pain to write and less eyesore for looking at
> the implementation.

Perhaps. But the executable thing is what is in debhelper, not the
variable expansion, nor the renaming at dh_install time. I'm offering a
solution to make these cases simpler and standard.

It's certainly a possiblity to persuade me that this is a stupid idea,
and then we'll end up with no simple, standardish solution, and everyone
will roll their own, like we used to do with patch systems in the days
of yore.

And for the record, I'm seeking input on the dh-exec implementation
here. Keep the anti-executable-debhelper-foo thing in the other thread,
please.