Re: [Pkg-scala-maint] Binary blobs in source packages

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 14.12.2011, 17:44 +0000 schrieb Wookey:
> I anyone is aware of packages where it really isn't possible to do an
> automatic bootstrap without a circular dependency (for the initial
> bootstrap build), I would like to know about it.

again, GHC comes to mind. When I ported it to s390x, I had to use an old
version (6.4.2), find some 64bit patches that were used by someone to
port it to powerpc64 (https://slyfox.ath.cx/ghc/patches/6.4.2/) and
built it partly on s390, copied the generated C files, and then finished
the build on s390x. Then I used that to build 6.10.1, working around a
bug by manually building one file of the compiler without optimization.
And then I build 7.0.4 (the current version) using that file.

Certainly not something that is worth automating...

If you get the impression that upstream does not care too much about
exotic architectures – then you are right. Unfortunately, that is
nothing that we can change easily.

Greetings,
Joachim

--