Re: [Pkg-scala-maint] Binary blobs in source packages

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 07:03:55PM +0100, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> On 12/13/2011 01:23 PM, Thomas Koch wrote:

> > So is it ok to ship binaries in the source package that are only
> > required during build? Can I do the same with simple-build-tool,
> > which requires itself to build?

> Depends on the need. It is quite common for compilers to have some
> binaries to do the bootstrapping. Scala uses that since some parts of
> the compiler are written in scala. And, of course, I make sure that I
> ship new binaries only in the Debian package. Another example is OCaml
> which needs an ocamlc to bootstrap itself.

I think the traditional expectation here is that compilers will do their
initial bootstrap using an out-of-archive binary, and that once in the
archive, they'll be maintained using a self-build-depends instead.

Shipping no-longer-needed bootstrap binaries in the source package is a
borderline case.  It's probably ok if we have the source needed to build
that binary.  But we ought not need to use it for the actual package build.