Re: Switching /etc/mtab to /proc/mounts and removing /lib/init/rw

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 09:08:10PM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 08:54:14PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > If you have a few minutes to spare, some testing of the packages
> > would be appreciated, so make sure there are no corner cases we've
> > missed.  Upgrading initscripts should result in /etc/mtab being
> > switched to a symlink at the next reboot.  /lib/init/rw will also
> > no longer mount a tmpfs on reboot, though the directory itself will
> > need to remain until wheezy+1, due to the upgrade ordering--packages
> > migrate after initscripts has run its postinst, requiring its
> > continued presence.
> >
> > I'd be grateful for any feedback.
>
> You probably want to handle the case where /etc/mtab is a symlink to
> /proc/self/mounts as well, since it's equivalent, and I know some people
> (read: at least me) have already made that change.

Regarding the issue with booting, this was due to a problem with
startpar and should now be fixed (#652097).  Fixed packages are
at http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/sysvinit/ and it will hit
experimental shortly.  I'd be grateful to know if this fixes the
issue for you as well.

Thanks,
Roger

--