Re: Is anyone using the Units program in a script? [and 1 more messages]

Ian Jackson wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes ("Re: Is anyone using the Units program in a script?"):
> > Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > (b) ask on info-gnu.
> >
> > Just fyi for the future but info-gnu isn't the place to ask questions.
> > It is for official GNU announcements only, no follow-ups, no
> > discussions.  Discussions should happen on other lists.
>
> info-gnu is exactly the right place for a GNU maintainer to ask the
> question "I plan to make an incompatible change to this program;
> please let me know your opinion".  That is an announcement, not a
> "discussion" or a "follow-up".
>
> Many GNU maintainers have done this in the past.  I think the units
> maintainer should consider whether to do it in this case.  Do you
> agree ?

I wasn't saying that one shouldn't ask the GNU maintainers and
developers.  I was saying that info-gnu isn't the right list for it.
I am also not aware of any others who have done this to info-gnu
before in my living memory.  It would be appropriate if it were
significant and presented reasonably, directing replies to a
discussion list.  But for example when rms was soliciting input about
a major change to emacs recently even he didn't use info-gnu and
instead used info-gnu-emacs for the question.

For this type of question under discussion of a utility such as
'units' I would suggest using the bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org mailing list.
It is widely subscribed to by those interested in the utilities.  It
seems like the perfect fit for this type of question and discussion.
If anyone has similar questions in the future then bug-gnu-utils is a
great place to have that discussion.

It is unfortunate that the GNU Project doesn't really have the single
unified equivalent of debian-devel for general discussion.  Instead it
has several mailing lists that perform a similar function as a whole
but each targeting different purposes.  And due to the nature of
things politics tends to dominate in some of the more obvious ones.

Bob