Re: Is anyone using the Units program in a script? [and 1 more messages]

John Hasler writes ("Re: Is anyone using the Units program in a script?"):
> Ian Jackson writes:
> > Honestly, this is not a very good way to go about asking this
> > question.
>
> How do you suggest that I ask it?

Sorry, I didn't mean to criticise you.  I wrote in haste.  I should
have been clearer that I was suggesting that upstream could have done
better.

> > Yes, I know of a script that uses "units" and which would have to be
> > modified.
>
> Then my method of asking worked, didn't it?  I've also heard from
> several others.  They gave me some useful details.

I accept your implied criticism.

The program I'm thinking of is an irc robot which is not packaged in
Debian nor widely distributed.  But it's an example of the kind of
thing people are likely to have cobbled together out of "units".

> > Upstream should (a) think hard about whether this is really necessary
> > (b) ask on info-gnu.
>
> I assume that he did both, but I have no control over that.  In any
> case, he asked me and so I asked here (and on debian-user).  It's the
> best way I could think of to alert those members of the Debian community
> who might be impacted by the change.

Right.  What I meant was, can you please ask upstream to post an
announcement to info-gnu asking the same question ?  I could do that
myself of course but you have a relationship with them already so if
you agree you're in a better position to do that than I am.

>  I have suggested that this particular change be applied only in the
> interactive mode.

That would be good.

Bob Proulx writes ("Re: Is anyone using the Units program in a script?"):
> Ian Jackson wrote:
> > (b) ask on info-gnu.
>
> Just fyi for the future but info-gnu isn't the place to ask questions.
> It is for official GNU announcements only, no follow-ups, no
> discussions.  Discussions should happen on other lists.

info-gnu is exactly the right place for a GNU maintainer to ask the
question "I plan to make an incompatible change to this program;
please let me know your opinion".  That is an announcement, not a
"discussion" or a "follow-up".

Many GNU maintainers have done this in the past.  I think the units
maintainer should consider whether to do it in this case.  Do you
agree ?

Ian.