Re: How to manage/document C dependencies?

Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently discussing with Jitsi[1] what they could do to make packaging
> feasible. On the java site they'll now probably use Ivy to document and manage
> their java dependencies.
>
> But they also have a lot of dependencies to C libraries. These are currently
> still committed to their SVN as .so files.
>
> I'm totally clueless about C. Is there any best practice for an upstream how
> to document your dependencies, their versions, license and download location
> in a central place, maybe even machine parsable?
>
> And what could upstream do to not rely on the .so files committed to their
> repos? Provide a list of aptitude install *-dev commands required for a
> developer?
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=627362
>
> Best regards,
>
> Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

As for finding dependencies on C libs automatically look at
dpkg-shlibdeps.

As for documenting them projects usualy give a list of packages they
depend on (e.g. needs gtk and asound) and under Debian the
debian/control file would contain a Build-Depends line listing the
specific packages needed to build under debian.

MfG
        Goswin