Re: Increasing minimum 'i386' processor

On 2011-11-21, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> I think it would be a pity if Debian was held back to support such a tiny
> minority of potential users.

Why can't the others use amd64?  In theory the audience of the i386
"port" would be non-64bit capable processors anyway.  I know that this
includes certain Atoms as well, so I can't just say "processors older
than those made in the last five years".  But I'm not sure if we're
actually held back in any way given a superior port like amd64.  (And as
the multimedia team pointed out in this very thread, you'll get much
better optimizations there.)

That said at some point we might want to get more performance out of the
amd64 port, too.  (Like using AVX with hwcaps.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern