Re: /tmp as tmpfs and consequence for imaging software

I find it hard to believe the origional bug is #630615 based on people's comments!  That's Funny!

1) rc.boot is for booting not for demanding / depends on kernel Options so and so opted in (ie,
tmpfs).  (is that why I had to hack mknod ptys in rc.local on one pc? wtf?)  Please do extras at
runelevel 2 or 3 - there's no reason to allow processes to share memory before multi-user logins that I've heard of! i'm unsure I'd allow it?

2) why is any init file in /usr/share?  what makes anyone think it's mountable if booting a root
slice single-user mode to fix other partitions/mounts?  init scripts are [were] on the root disk for
a reason :)
	ie, File: /usr/share/initscripts/default.rcS

3) Whether 1.2G is or is not in a directory is a mute Question and argument.  /tmp is purely a
convention of convenience and not construed to be memory share system or not, never was, you'll
break allot of things if you try imposing new rules to "help out" new software do some deed it
claims it needs that infact it can do without /tmp in the first place.

While amazon.com "cloud" may have small RAM and large disks, many mainframes are opposite (ie, IBM
big blue, japan's world simulator).  And many new PCs may become that way: no spin :)  Maybe not!

cat /usr/src/linux | grep -i "tmpfs"
# CONFIG_DEVTMPFS is not set
# CONFIG_TMPFS_XATTR is not set

shared mem is good but ads a few bads.  It's an option for a reason.

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>  v.  debian-bugs, I confirmed it's a bug :)

Cheers to Michael, cheers to all !  And may debian gets lots of orders at Christmas !

	John

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:File: /usr/share/initscripts/default.rcS