Package mailing lists (was: bits from the DPL for September 2011)

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 03:48:35PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> - I've made the "private email aliases considered harmful" point [10],
>   in a somehow unrelated thread. I ask you to watch out for interactions
>   in Debian that could happen only through private email addresses.
>   There are some cases where they are warranted (e.g. security or
>   privacy concerns), but having regular activities of a team going
>   through private email aliases harms us in so many ways. Please point
>   me to project areas that could benefit from improvements on this
>   front, ... unless you can just go ahead and fix the issue!

Sorry for reviving and old email. To what extend do you think this
should apply - even at individual package level?

I ask this because of the following: recently I had a 1-1 discussion
with a co-maintainer of one of my packages, which went between our
personal emails. I quite disliked this (since it will be buried in our
mailboxes), but email conversations seem simpler than going through the
BTS for all discussions.

On the other hand, http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/PackagingProject
discourages requesting Alioth projects for smaller packages, so in that
sense it encourages people contacting directly the maintainers via their
emails, instead of having the archived, indexable lists.

Could/should Debian make it easier for each package to have an own email
list (i.e. making it easier to have "1-person team maintenance")? Or is
BTS enough? (I don't think so, since it doesn't have a simple canonical
entry point for all packages)

regards,
iustin