Re: Minified files and source code requirement

On 2011-10-27, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> In other words, given the haziness in this area and the wildly divergent
> practices of people when creating non-code works, I think we should look
> at whether the provided "source" provides reasonable opportunity to meet
> the core definition of free software, namely the ability to study and
> adopt the work for one's own purposes and republish one's modifications,
> and not get too hung up on whether the exact tools and steps the original
> author took are included.

What about a game that provides a set of resource source files but no scripts
to create the actual pngs and jpegs?  As long as you just the tools (Blender,
Gimp and such, Ogre 3D tools) you can sort of get the original dump out.

As long as I ship those resources unused as a separate orig tarball, would
that be acceptable enough for inclusion into Debian?  They are actually
in a separate repository, but it does get tagged for releases.

(And yes, that's a real-world example[0].  I asked some people, pabs among
them, on #-games some months ago, and the consensus seemed to be that
everything needs to be regeneratable by scripts.  The license in question
is ISC, not GPL.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[0] https://launchpad.net/~openclonkdevteam/+archive/release