Re: / vs. /usr vs. fsck(8)

Hi there!

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 14:15:43 +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 11:19 +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:24:33 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>> > The Debian initramfs of my sid system is 10 MB, while the one from my
>> > RHEL 6.1 servers is 12 MB. So there is no big difference here.
>>
>> I checked my systems and found out something strange about initrd sizes,
>> all with MODULES=most in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf:
[...]
>> On my sid, using MODULES=dep I get 4062599 for 3.1.0-rc7-amd64, which is
>> practically no different from MODULES=most.  Considering that my sid is
>> full-disk encrypted, there is something odd, here.
>
> I think you're mistaken about those last few.  MODULES=most still
> results in a ~10 MB initramfs on x86.

This is exactly why I updated my initrd for 3.1.0-rc7-amd64 before
posting the results above and I still get the same number if I create a
new one.  I finally found the problem:
=====
root@gismo:/boot# cat /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/driver-policy
# Driver inclusion policy selected during installation
# Note: this setting overrides the value set in the file
# /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
MODULES=dep

root@gismo:/boot#
=====

Indeed I was not aware that /e/i-t/conf.d/ options take precedence over
/e/i-t/initramfs.conf.  From `man initramfs.conf` (which BTW erroneously
refers to /etc/mkinitramfs):

  DESCRIPTION
  [...]
	Configuration options  can be broken out  into configuration
	snippets   and   placed   in   individual   files   in   the
	/etc/mkinitramfs/conf.d directory.  Files  in this directory
	are always  read after the  main configuration file,  so you
	can override  the settings in  the main config  file without
	editing it directly.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca