Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Possibly.  The system I booted Debian Live on also had no network
> connection.  But either way, exim takes a non-zero amount of time to

Nowadays, you really need to properly setup non-networked systems
correctly, to avoid being pestered by timeouts.  I very much doubt
debian-live does this, but it could.  It is not even that difficult, but
requires some testing to track down all culprits.

A system that depends on the network to resolve any local names is
BROKEN.  One that waits a bit for a non-existent network is less broken,
but still has a really annoying bug.

Such bugs can be fixed, and have nothing to do with installing or not
installing an MTA by default.

> "other things are worse" is not an argument against dropping
> exim4-daemon-light from standard. :)

Yes it is.  It is not "other things are worse", it is "other things are
worse by three orders of magnitude" as far as disk space goes, and
easily one order of magnitude as far as virtual memory use goes.  It is
a ludricous argument, and it should be dropped.

  Henrique Holschuh