Re: Move all to /usr

On Oct 13, Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> wrote:

> Isn't this what the whole thread is about: ignoring other people's use
> cases?
I do not know what it is for you. For me, it is about understanding the
impact on Debian of implementing this.
I have received interesting replies which address valid issues, like the
need for a significantly bigger initramfs (which so far is not clear),
but also a lot of handwaving and "I like to do this my way" replies.
Everything we do has merits and downsides, our goal should be to find
the best possible compromise.

(BTW: vorlon, I have a bit of embedded experience and own multiple ARM
systems...)

> It seems it's one of the only reasons why RedHat people are
> pushing to not separate /usr (udev, systemd) and getting rid of /sbin,
> /bin, /lib (also a nice reason to push use of dracut). Less use cases is
> easier to commercially support I guess.
If you have not noticed, with SuSE close to death Red Hat has become the
upstream maintainer for quite a lot of infrastructure.
If you are concerned about them steering Linux in directions not
discussed with the rest of the community, and I am, then I suggest that
you start looking hard at systemd, which plans much bigger changes than
this one.

--
ciao,
Marco