Re: / vs. /usr vs. fsck(8)

On Oct 13, Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:

> - I think that the probability that defective hard drive sectors
> will hit   a small partition is less. So your „repair partition”
> will probably   boot at least in emergency mode with more tools than
> any initramfs.
I can't see which tools help you if the disk is phisically broken...

>   I think that small file systems are less error-prone as well.
Actually this is a good argument for keeping everything in /usr and then
mounting it read only.

> - Rescue DVDs may not support modern file systems because of older
> kernels.
Not a very compelling reason: if you use an unusual/recent file system,
spend two minutes burning an appropriate rescue CD for it.

--
ciao,
Marco