Re: Bits from dpkg developers - dpkg 1.16.1

* Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> [111003 17:27]:
> > Not necessarily.  -fPIC and -fPIE force calls to global functions
> > defined in the same translation unit to go through the PLT.  They
> > aren't translated to direct IP-relative calls.  For -fPIC, this is
> > required by the ELF specification (no kidding, this might seem strange
> > today).
>
> Could we add a gcc flag and be non conformant ? I suppose it is only
> for using LD_PRELOAD.

Breaking -fPIC globally by changing gcc is a bad idea.
(If any library needs the improvement, it can always specify what to
call itself, which then has the added bonus of also doing this for
calls between different translation units of the same library).

	Bernhard R. Link