Re: Bits from dpkg developers - dpkg 1.16.1

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Couldn't we get rid of static libraries altogether, replacing static
> linking with ahead-of-time dynamic linking?

Well, the normal usecase for static libraries and static linking is to
produce self-contained objects.  If you can link a bunch of dynamic
objects into a self-contained object that behaves as a static-linked
object would, I'd say that yes, we could probably do away with static
libraries.

I do think it is a bad idea, though.  We don't provide libraries just
for ourselves, we also provide them for the user to use when building
his own stuff and they might have other usecases.

Doing away with static libraries does not look like a service to our
users at first glance[1].  Fixing [upstream] any braindead crap that
gets in the way of proper static linking, OTOH, is useful to
everybody...

[1] but I don't feel strong enough about it to get in the way if we do
decide to drop static libs.

  Henrique Holschuh