dpkg predependency against tar >= 1.23, objections?

Hello,

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > $ sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev
[...]
> > tar: unrecognized option `--warning=no-timestamp'
> > Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.
> > dpkg-deb: error: subprocess tar returned error exit status 64
> > dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg-dev_1.16.1_all.deb (--unpack):
> >  subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
[...]
> > I manually unpacked the latest tar package (version 1.26-2) with ar
> > and tar, and overwrote /bin/tar .  dpkg worked again.
>
> The tar version introducing those options was 1.23, present in
> squeeze. So it seems you are trying to upgrade a system with packages
> still from lenny to a mix of squeeze and sid?
>
> This is generally not supported, but I also agree this outcome is not
> desirable either, I'll probably add a versioned Pre-Depends on the
> required tar, after running it through debian-devel.

So cc-ing debian-devel with this mail. Does anyone have an objection
against dpkg adding this "tar (>= 1.23)" pre-dependency?

For reference it's the fix for #640298 that added the --warning=no-timestamp
option.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer