Re: buildd machines vs. resource-hungry packages (ITK)

On 09/17/2011 05:06 AM, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having a huge problem getting insighttoolkit (ITK) to build due
> to the fact that it takes a huge amount of disk, memory, and time to
> build.  In fact, the build is now generally failing because either
> disk or memory is exhausted.
>
> The main culprit behind the resource usage is the wrappers for Tcl,
> Java, and Python.  The underlying ITK codebase consists of heavily
> templated C++ libraries.  The wrapping process generates a huge amount
> of code since many variants of each templated class are instantiated
> and compiled.

I have a similar issue with gmic - my workaround is to use -O0 on the
architectures where it would fail to build due to exhausted memory.

BUILDD_MEM := $(shell awk '/^MemTotal:/ {print $$2}' /proc/meminfo)
BUILDD_MEM_OK := $(strip $(shell test $(BUILDD_MEM) -gt 1800000 && echo yes))

ifneq (,$(findstring arm,$(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_CPU)))
  GMIC_CFLAGS = -g -O0
else
  ifneq (,$(findstring mips,$(shell dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_GNU_CPU)))
    GMIC_CFLAGS = -g -O0
  else
    ifeq (yes,$(BUILDD_MEM_OK))
      GMIC_CFLAGS = $(CFLAGS)
        else
          GMIC_CFLAGS = -g -O0
        endif
  endif
endif

Not the best solution as it means that gmic will be slow(er) on arm and mips at
least, but the only working solution.