how to handle *.ucf files in /etc/apache2/conf.d?

Hello,

I prepared a package which puts some configuration snippet into
/etc/apache2/conf.d. This config snipped is under control of ucf.

Eventually there get's an /etc/apache2/conf.d/XXX.ucf-new file created,
which confuses apache.

I found a bugreport #304785 (4/2005), it's closed, since *.dpkg* files
are ignored by apache already. I do not feel comfortable with this
solution…

Does exist some explanation/solution/excuse, why we can't

    a) having apache to ignore *.ucf* generally
    b) just change in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf
        include conf.d/
       into
        include conf.d/*.conf
       and ask all packages placing files there to use the
       .conf extension?

Greetings from Dresden,
--
Heiko Schlittermann