Re: forwarding bugs upstream - opt-in, delayed, automated

Hi Stefano (et al.)!

Stefano's post contains a fair assessment of our discussion. However I
would like to state in my own words the basic idea.  I'll also provide
a couple of ideas of implementation details.

the problem
--------------
Often issues that ought to be sent upstream, aren't.
This is *the worst thing* in my view.
I saw real bug reports years old, with no activity, that I could have
easily fixed.

The most brain-dead solution of sending all reports upstream could be
viewed as spamming,
for 2 reasons:
   * it wasn't requested
   * it contains stuff (about packaging issues, etc) of no interest upstream

status quo

But it's all-or-nothing.  If upstream subscribes, they still get a
load of reports about packaging issues, etc, that should have been
dealt with downstream.

synthesis

However, as Stefano mentioned, another option would be provided.  I called it
    "Receive only triaged reports".

I pictured the downstream responder assessing whether the problem was
for upstream or downstream, and just clicking a button -- like
    "Report Upstream",
which would send the report upstream immediately.

Finally, so that no reports slip through, if the report's status isn't
changed, and the report isn't sent upstream, before some prescribed
time-out, the report is automatically sent upstream.
Of course, it is bad that this should happen, and perhaps a discussion
should ensue, but it is MUCH WORSE to let a real bug report just sit
there.

Furthermore, various other possibilities of tracking reporting
statistics would be possible with such an arrangement.

Cheers!