Re: forwarding bugs upstream - opt-in, delayed, automated

Quoting Stefano Zacchiroli (zack@debian.org):
> After GHM [1], I've head a lengthy discussion with Steve White (Cc:-ed,
> GNU maintainer [upstream]) about Debian's procedures for forwarding bugs
> upstream.
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2011/09/msg00004.html
>
> The conversion touched the usual suspects:

This is indeed the consequence of a discussion we (font packages
maintainers) had with Steve about the ttf-freefont package (which
Steve is upstream for).

Great to see that it lead to something interesting....

> Steve suggested a feature that might improve the status quo:
>
> - enable people to subscribe to bug traffic only if it matches specific
>   tags (the idea being of forwarding upstream only the traffic for
>   "confirmed" bugs)
>
> - add a DELAYED-like mechanism where upstream is notified of a bug only
>   if the package maintainer fails to "deal with" the bug in a specific
>   timeframe, say, 10 days ("deal with" may be defined in various ways,
>   e.g.: "post to the bug log", "closes the bug", details need to be
>   fleshed out a bit on this point)

I think these are really interesting features and I would have loved
having them handy when we had this mail discussion with Steve about
the status of some ttf-freefont bugs..:-)

Thanks for having the discussion face to face (which is always much
easier than asynchronously by mail) and ending up with both these
features. I know at least of one of "my" upstreams who would appreciate
them, namely Steve himself..:-)