Re: Mobile UXes - From the DebConf11 BoF to the stars

Hi there!

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:36:17 +0200, Didier Raboud wrote:
> = 0 - Commented overview of the various available stacks =
>
> The initial idea to frame the discussion was to share experiences and opinions
> about known free software mobile stacks: are they packaged in Debian? What has
> been the experience so far? If not, why not?
>
> The main reference to build up this list has been
> http://wiki.debian.org/Smartphone, which is still a good reference! Now to the
> list.

What about [1]?  There is no reference in your email.

[1] <http://wiki.debian.org/Mobile>

> = 1 - Proposal for future actions and meet-together =

As someone who was heavily involved with Openmoko stuff, I still think
that (one of) the major point of failure is the fact that we still lack
d-i support, at least unofficially.

A specific case: to install Debian on SD on the Openmoko GTA02 [2] we
still use an "install.sh" script: what was intended to be a temporary
hack has now grown to a 1925-line script which I would say it is
reinventing the wheel.

[2] while the script worked (still works?) for GTA01 as well, only some
    very naive guys (AKA me) wanted to use that (smart)phone for
    everyday life...

There first efforts were started already in 2008 from the kernel side
[3].  At DebConf9 Gaudenz (and in someway myself) produced some very
basic patches [4] and last year there was even a GSoC project to adapt
d-i at least to the Openmoko [5], but I have not heard anything about
that lately.

[3] <http://bugs.debian.org/503292>
[4] <http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/87bpnazrp6.fsf%40gismo.pca.it>
[5] <http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2010#Debian-Installer_on_Neo_FreeRunner_and_Handheld_Devices>

Please note that I am not volunteering for anything, given that I have
completely lost any faith about having a real free smartphone: this not
only for the Openmoko (at DebConf11 I tested again upstream SHR and
Qtmoko without much success), but also for the other (very promising)
stack I have experience with, i.e. the official Maemo on the Nokia N900,
AFAIK will never be free [6] (previous efforts are now marked as "out of
date" [7]).

[6] <http://wiki.maemo.org/Why_the_closed_packages>
[7] <http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_Maemo>

Thx, bye,