ifupdown package interfaces include function

While "trying" to port the Xen (xapi) network reconfiguration scripts to debian for the project "Kronos", I was looking if there was a way to use includes in the /etc/network/interfaces file, for example

I found this "bug" report that is talking exactly about what I'm looking for and provides patches
If i'm right it seems it has been closed and merged in ifupdown-0.7~alpha4.

But, is it supposed to be working ?

I just tried with an interfaces file like this:
# DO NOT EDIT: This file was autogenerated by interface-reconfigure
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

and it doesn't seems to load the files in that directory.

The package version installed on my box is:
ifupdown 0.7~alpha5+really0.6.15 high level tools to configure network interfaces

Thanks for your help.