Re: Other OpenCL users anywhere?

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:53:19 +0200, Steffen Möller <steffen_moeller@gmx.de> wrote:

> it seems like OpenCL is becoming routine.  The  -dev files are luckily
> shared between many architectures from what I understood, just the
> libraries/drivers are platform specific.

The Khoros headers are indeed free, however as far as I know, there are
currently no DFSG free OpenCL drivers (certainly none in Debian main).
The SNU-SAMSUNG project [1] looks interesting, but only supports
Cell/Arm/DSP now. There is also the Gallium3D effort, but as of 3 days
ago [2] it looked like still a work in progress.

So I guess I package consisting of only the headers would have to be in
contrib at this time.  And header packages in contrib are not that
useful because they cannot be used by packages in main [3].

Perversely, including the Khoros headers in another source package seems
ok with the letter of policy to me (since the drivers are not needed to
build).

I don't think that having a meta-package with only instantiations
outside of main will fly either. But that is just a personal opinion.

David

[1] http://opencl.snu.ac.kr/
[2] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/clover/
[3] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-main