Re: /usr/share/doc/ files and gzip/xz/no compression

#include <hallo.h>
* Colin Watson [Mon, Aug 22 2011, 09:35:14PM]:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 03:49:04PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > #include <hallo.h>
> > * Colin Watson [Mon, Aug 22 2011, 09:27:25AM]:
> > > I don't want to add more linkage, especially in light of Adam's point
> > > about xz not being worth it for most manual pages anyway.
> >
> > Would you consider additional linkage to libdl? That is less than 15kB
> > size and brings possibility to load liblzma as needed.
> >
> > In fact, I have an almost complete patch for man-db which dlopens
> > on-the-fly. Let me know if I should proceed with that.
>
> Given that it apparently doesn't gain much in the way of size
> improvements, I don't really see the point.  But I'd look at a patch if
> it doesn't make the code significantly less portable or significantly
> harder to maintain.

Agreed. I stopped coding after realizing that you don't gain anything if
the typical file size is within one or two filesystem blocks.

A copy is stored on
http://alioth.debian.org/~blade/mandb_dlopens_liblzma.diff , feel free
to add it or ignore it.

Regards,
Eduard.
--
Naja, Garbage Collector eben. Holt den Müll sogar vom Himmel.
       (Heise Trollforum über Java in der Flugzeugsteuerung)