Re: Spending Debian money for porter boxes [Was: The archive now supports xz compression]

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 08:45:18PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
>> > Wouldn't it be better to get more buildds for those archs, then?
>> > That would be a totally appropriate use of Debian money...
>>
>> Speaking of which. It would also totally be an appropriate use of Debian
>> money to get new porter boxes that fit the buildds. Most of the non x86
>> porter boxes are pathetically slow, which is even sadder when you know
>> the buildd boxes for the same architectures are an order of magnitude
>> faster (and I'm almost not exagerating).
>
> I concur and I'll be happy to approve such usage of Debian money. FWIW,
> what is needed to make this kind of things happen is not really money.
> What is missing is rather a bit of coordination of people that: 1) keep
> track of what hardware we need,

Could this point tracked using a special package on the bts (or a tag)
? It will also help for finding printing device with hard to reproduce
bug.

Bug that depend of this need to by blocked by hardware bug.

2) take the time to do a first check if
we have vendors interested in donating that hardware,

Using (abusing) tag upstream on the bts ?

3) fallback to get
a quote of the needed hardware,

using tag fixed-upstream ?

4) get back to the DPL saying "we need