Re: Docs/examples on how to package a PostgreSQL needing app

On 08/12/2011 03:11 PM, Olivier Berger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I cannot seem to find any packaging guidelines an how to deal with a
> PostgreSQL database management in a package of a web app requiring a PG
> DB.
>
> More specifically, if usual installation directives mention modifying of
> pg_hba.conf, how should one translate that into Debian packaging scripts
> actions ?

If your application runs on the same host as postgres, there is no need to
modify pg_hba.conf as local users will be authenticated with ident - all you
need to to is to create the role for them in postgres.

If it runs somewhere else, you can't modify the remote pg_hba.conf.

To add new databases (and roles....) to postgres, look into dbconfig-common.